The long tradition of consecrated religious life has enriched the common good both spiritually and physically, notably in the realm of health care. CHS might not exist today if it was not for the pioneering women religious who originally launched its programs and services. Over the years, CHS’s founding congregations have been joined by members of other orders, working side by side with individuals from every walk of life at CHS’s entities across Nassau and Suffolk.
CHS was founded in 1997 by the Diocese of Rockville Centre and encompasses facilities and services that originated as charitable institutions under the sponsorship of religious sponsors. Reaching back more than a century, various congregations of women religious shared a profound commitment to helping those in need on Long Island. The Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville founded Our Lady of Consolation Nursing & Rehabilitative Care Center in 1894. Three nuns from the Congregation of the Infant Jesus began what is now known as Catholic Home Care in 1905, going on to open Mercy Medical Center—the very first Catholic hospital in Nassau County—in 1913. Similarly, the Daughters of Wisdom founded St. Charles Hospital in 1907, followed by Maryhaven Center of Hope in 1930 and Good Samaritan Hospital in 1959. St. Francis Hospital was established in 1922 by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, St. Joseph Hospital, Good Shepherd Hospice and Good Samaritan Nursing Home are among the entities that CHS comprises today.
National Catholic Sisters Week, observed every March 8–14, offers an opportunity to express our gratitude to the selfless women who dedicated their lives to God and continue to serve Him by serving those in need. You can view videos of our founding Sister's here.